Re: [AD] Rambings about plugins

On Fri, Dec 14, 2001 at 04:47:16PM -0000, Vincent Penquerc'h wrote:
> > For C/C++ code, does that mean using a simple compiler
> > switch? If so, then
> > this won't be a problem for the majority of plug-ins. For
> > assembly code
> > however, what do I need to do to generate PIC instead of
> > absolute positioning?
>
> I think so, since Allegro does use it and I've never seen
> trouble with it, but I don't know what PIC actually is, besides
> that it fixes up some offsets from a table at load time. I
> doubt it will be a problem, but I thought I'd ask just in case.

Allegro has to put its non-PIC code (essentially, the assembler
stuff) into a static library linked to each game.  Only the PIC
code (C) goes in the dynamic library.  Unless this has been
changed recently -- the non-PIC code could still be loaded
dynamically from a module, just not as a shared library.

George