Re: [AD] Proposed changes for Allegro 5 (6?)

Stepan Roh wrote:

On Tue, 27 Nov 2001, Bob wrote:

http://pages.infinit.net/voidstar/newalleg.txt

Splitting packfiles handling to compression/encryption layers is good, but
removing default implementation is bad, bad, bad :-) Why?

I just thought about lightening the lib. There's no reason really, and I'm not advocating it. I just thought I'd bring it up incase someone else would argument for it :)

Adding networking is not good thing, I think. Too much new code without
any connection to current Allegro.

The current Allegro has nearly no connection to Allegro 3.0 appart from most of the external API. Why is networking any different?

Allegro 5 should have cleaner and consistent API with better decomposition
to modules (unicode handling, gfx, sound, input, packfiles, etc.). This
should be the main goal. And, of course, cleaning up the sources a bit.

Agreed.

Generated API docs is very good idea, but forget Javadoc. It's too
Java-centric and too slow.

Doxygen? They use the same syntax (AFAIK), so we could just document the code like this:

/** Draws a bitmap. (insert blit() docs)
 *
 *  \param source The source bitmap
 *  \param dest   The destination bitmap
 *    (and so on)
 *
 *  \sa draw_sprite masked_blit stretch_blit
 */
void blit(...) {
}

Then docs are in the sources, get updates with the sources, and get generated from the sources.
Docs get generated in html, latex, rich text, and some other formats I can't remember.

--
- Robert J Ohannessian
"Microsoft code is probably O(n^20)" (my CS prof)