Re: [AD] Proposig the death of the RsxNT port

On Wed, Oct 31, 2001 at 12:19:10AM +0100, Stepan Roh wrote:

> On Tue, 30 Oct 2001, [iso-8859-1] Javier González wrote:
>
> > the directory lib/rsxnt
> > the directory obj/rsxnt
> > the directory perl ;)
>
> Unfortunately you can't remove directories in CVS. You can do it by
> deleting directories directly in the repository (without cvs command),
> but I don't know if it's possible on SourceForge (not mentioning it's
> not a preferred way to work with CVS).

CVS's equivalent of removing a directory is deleting all the
files in it.  It's very like the ZIP situation -- since
directories themselves are not really stored in the repository,
there's nothing to delete.  The repository does have a directory
containing the details (revision history) of the deleted files
from that directory, and you can't remove that without (1)
losing the history, and (2) breaking `cvs update' for anyone who
has that directory checked out at the time.

So, like in the ZIP case, the best way tends to be putting dummy
files in any empty directories you *do* want to exist, and then
using the -P (prune) option on updates and checkouts (put it in
your .cvsrc).  This means that completely empty directories are
removed from local copies.

Alternatively, Damyan prefers to not use -P but also not use -d,
which is the switch causing CVS to create directories not
already existing locally.  The default is to skip directories
which have not been explicitly checked out.

George