Re: [AD] Proposed changes for Allegro 5 (6?)

On Wed, 28 Nov 2001, Bob wrote:

> >> - Fix this whole 32bpp == int, 16bpp == short thing. Use int16_t and
> >>int32_t instead?
> >>

> > Why? I think this would break too much code, both in Allegro and in
> > user's code. Btw, 32bpp == long, not int.
>

> So on 64 bit machines, 32bpp bitmaps waste twice the memory and memory
> bandwidth - just great :)

That's not true. For example on IRIX64, int and long are the same as on
32-bit platforms. Same applies to SunOS. Changing it would break too much
code (including system libraries), so it was left as is.

> I'd rather have them as type INT32, where INT32 can be defined as whatever
> fits 32 bits in the current machine.

I proposed that once, but had no success.

Have a nice day.

Stepan Roh