[AD] [LINUX] VGA/ModeX drivers

On 16 Nov 2001, J.P. Morris <jpm@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Oh, and the vga/modex drivers in Linux are still crocked :-)

This is what happens on my machine (nViDiA tNT2).

Firstly, under text mode.

The vga/modex drivers work, but have trouble when the svgalib driver
is involved.  This isn't always obvious, e.g. when the mode selector
dialog is run, it has to start up svgalib to get video modes.  The VT
gets wedged after exiting from the mode selector dialog.  To confirm,
programs using the mode selector dialog work when the svgalib module
is removed from modules.lst.

Unless someone can be bothered figuring out what's going on, I propose
that the svgalib mode fetching code be disabled.  It would be possible
to reenable it after 4.0 without breaking ABI compatibility.

Now, under fbcon (vesafb).

It doesn't work.  Svgalib's VGA driver doesn't work right either, so
maybe it's not our fault.  The easiest thing is probably to make
vga/modex a module then tell fbcon users to remove the module and use
the svgalib driver (assuming the above problem is dealt with).