Re: [AD] official beta (Re namespace again)

>Why do you want to insist since both libraries are not intended to serve
>the same goal ? 4.0 will be released because its purpose has ever been
>to be a (improved) multi-platform version of 3.12.
>5.0 is a new start in the library history : new API, new
>functionnalities and (maybe) a new design but it will hopefully keep
>almost the same code :)
>
>Think to the Linux kernels. Even if 2.4.x is out since several months
>some patches are still being applied to the 2.2.x series and nobody
>seems to get confused nor to complain.

I definitely agree with Bertrand's points here (and in the rest of his
mail). Allegro has grown to be much more than it was originally intended
to be -- a solid example of this is palettes. 6-bit palettes are fine if
you only use VGA hardware, but this is no longer the case. I feel that
something needs to be done with the API, since there are some real
issues now. (`clear()', `key', #definitions, etc., etc.).

Since we now need to break some things, and we might need to do this
some more in the future, we might as well redesign and save ourselves,
and library users, some work. This will result in a different entity,
with the same purpose. This is analogous to the Linux kernels 2.2 and
2.4, and I agree with Bertrand and Peter when they suggest bugfixing the
old API version and working on the new API version.

Bye for now,
--
Laurence Withers, lwithers@xxxxxxxxxx
                http://www.lwithers.demon.co.uk/