Re: [AD] to prefix or not to prefix (sigh)

> > and we should break backward compatibility *another* time???
>

> Yes, it's going to have to happen. Allegro was nice when all you had was
> an
> 8 bit display under DOS, but it's time we grow out of it a bit. Some
> things
> really do need fixing, and the only reason why it's not being done is
> because of "backwards compatibility".

this is completely not acceptable.
we *must not* break compatibility 2 times!
and planning it deliberately is terrible!

if we break it we must do 1 single time:
now or never.

> > and *why* more object oriented? remember that allegro should be a C
> > library and that there are people, like me, that code in plain C.
>

> Um, the issue of object-orientedness is completely orthogonal to the
> issue
> of C vs C++. Sorry.
>
> I was thinking of combining all the BITMAPs and the various SPRITEs
> under a
> single object. draw_sprite vs masked_blit will also need collapsing.
> voices,
> samples and audiostreams might be rearranged. Input can be combined as a
> single message system (think SDL). And so on.

and i will remember u another time that allegro *is* a C library and
*not* a C++ library. if u and other people want to do a C++ port, ok
not bad, but i hope that Allegro will remain a pure C library, that's
one of the main reasons people use it.

> >>3.9.x can be released at the same time as 4.0, in december, where 5.0
> >>can be
> >>released a few years later.
> >
> > sounds bad.
>
> Well, you waited this long for 4.0, so why not?

becouse is not good.

"Americans need the telephone, but we don't. We have enough mailmen."
    Sir William Preece, head engeneer of the British Mail, 1876

 - Lo'oRiS il Kabukimono -          / /|       /^___ \
Real Name: Lorenzo Petrone         / / /      / /L_/ /
e-mail: _lano_@xxxxxxxxxx          / / /      /  ___-°/
irc.azzurra.net #lano            / /_/__    /  /|__-°
digilander.iol.it/lano666       /______/|  /__/ /