RE: [AD] sonames

Title: RE: [AD] sonames

> > liballegro.so.3.9.39
>
> That is an apropriate lib name for SONAME=3, MINOR=9.39.
> ldconfig would
> symlink it to liballegro.so.3 and the applications would use this
> library. When 3.9.40 gets major changes and is no longer compatible,
> ldconfig would still think it is a newer version of
> liballegro.so.3 and
> symlink 3.9.40 to it. When the application loads -> *BANG*.

Do you mean that the rt linker will link against it even if there is no
symlink ??? Or will it symlink it out of authority ?
I thought that kind of things would be the responsibility of the install
target in the lib's makefile, since it is pretty much the only thing
that knows whether there is or not compatibility, no?

--
Vincent Penquerc'h