Re: [AD] Debugging functions and Unicode

>I propose:
>- either to completely revert to pure ASCII for the two functions,
>- or to require ASCII inputs (file name or message), writes ASCII strings in
>the log files but passes Unicode strings to the handlers (the function
>get_config_text() already behaves the same).
>
>My preference is rather for the latter solution but I wouldn't mind if the
>former was chosen.

I vote for the former, on the basis that this is simpler to code quickly
and without bugs (the last thing you want is for your debugging trace to
contain bugs itself :-) ). By this I mean that you don't have to convert
filenames, format strings, etc. into whatever Unicode format you are
using, you can just write these as plain string literals.

Also, I think it is fair to say that for a debugging trace, we don't
need Unicode output; 8-bit ASCII should be sufficient. All mine usually
consist of is function names (which have to be ASCII) followed by
variable names and dumps (again, all ASCII).

Bye for now,
--
Laurence Withers, lwithers@xxxxxxxxxx
                http://www.lwithers.demon.co.uk/