[AD] Fwd: Suggestions & Problems

Here is the message I sent. It would be nice if there was a reply-to for the list. I didn't know it was only going to Peter Wang.

From: "Mike G." To: "Peter Wang" Subject: Suggestions & Problems Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 14:47:50 -0800

I have some suggestions for Allegro; some I can change myself (denoted by *).

1. Make FLI/FLC functions use structs instead of global variables. *

2. Maybe Make the frame_rate of the FLI/FLC adjustable.

3. Make a set_window_icon(int resource_id) function or allegro_window_icon. Have it default to IDI_APPLICATION. Currently you can only override the icon by creating a resource of the same name as IDI_APPLICATION which generates a warning. *

4. Make Allegro's GUI functions save and restore the text_mode. Maybe create push/pop_textmode. Currently the user has to reset it himself.

5. Maybe make a script or batch file available that converts the AL_FUNC, AL_CONST, etc. in allegro.h to the real values. That way MSVC can show parameter info for the functions.

Problems

1. #defineing TRACE overrides MSVC's TRACE, which outputs to the debugger.

2. Creating or Destroying BITMAPs when allegro isn't initialized crashes the program (system_driver is NULL). This makes it hard to construct c++ classes that have BITMAPs as members.

3. There's no way to include MFC's headers without errors. I can't use winalleg.h because MFC doesn't want window.h included before it.

Sorry for the long email, but are any of the suggestions feasible?

Thanks for you time, Mike G.