RE: [AD] Fwd: Suggestions & Problems

From: "Vincent Penquerc'h" <vincent@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: <conductors@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [AD] Fwd: Suggestions & Problems
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2001 19:25:28 -0000

> >1. Make FLI/FLC functions use structs instead of global variables. *

yup

> >2. Maybe Make the frame_rate of the FLI/FLC adjustable.

yup

> >3. Make a set_window_icon(int resource_id) function or
> allegro_window_icon.
> >Have it default to IDI_APPLICATION. Currently you can only override the
> >icon by creating a resource of the same name as IDI_APPLICATION which
> >generates a warning. *

hmmm, yup

> >4. Make Allegro's GUI functions save and restore the text_mode. Maybe
> >create push/pop_textmode. Currently the user has to reset it himself.

yup. i believe text_mode now returns the previous mode. this should help.

> >5. Maybe make a script or batch file available that converts the
> AL_FUNC,
> >AL_CONST, etc. in allegro.h to the real values. That way MSVC can show
> >parameter info for the functions.

huh ? cpp will take care of that. do you mean syntax hilighting and this
kind of things ?

> >1. #defineing TRACE overrides MSVC's TRACE, which outputs to the
> debugger.

it might be possible to do some macro magic in winalleg.h.
not sure how though.

> >2. Creating or Destroying BITMAPs when allegro isn't initialized crashes > >the program (system_driver is NULL). This makes it hard to construct c++
> >classes that have BITMAPs as members.

i'm not sure if this is good programming practice anyway, since any failure
won't be reported, since you can't even try/catch with this kind of
objects. you'll have to implement some kind of error query, so you might
as well call an init function there.
if you really need it, you can call allegro_init if it was not done
before (just have a global flag). ugly, but it should work.

> >3. There's no way to include MFC's headers without errors. I can't use
> >winalleg.h because MFC doesn't want window.h included before it.

name clashes ?
i know mfc is really annoying, and even more when used with atl. i've
tried it. i managed to get the two working together by hacking a bit in
the macros msvc put in my code. the same might apply here.

--
Lyrian