[Fwd: Re: [AD] win directx Joystick driver]

Sorry, I keep forgetting [AD] replies to author...

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [AD] win directx Joystick driver
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2001 16:20:22 -0500
From: Bob <ohannessian@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: Henrik Stokseth <hstokset@xxxxxxxxxx>

Henrik Stokseth wrote:

> On Thu, 01 Mar 2001, Eric Botcazou wrote:
> > I would say yes again (see further) if you restrict yourself to the
> > DirectInput 5.0 API.
> > But then we will have to seriously cope with this multiple DirectX versions
> > issue.

Wasn't there talk of adding a latest-bleeding-edge updated-with-DirectX
DirectX driver? If it's possible to use both DX3 and DX8 in the same
program (COM?) then we could detect which DirectX version is installed
and use the appropriate driver

> Hmm... NT isn't much of a gaming platform. It never has been, so why do we want
> so eagerly to support it by maintaining backwards compatibility with a stoneage
> version of DirectX?

It's prolly because Allegro isn't only used for games. However I do
agree that with win2k and soon XP, there will be less and less reasons
to support NT4.

> IMHO Directx 5 would be a fair minimum choice for Allegro.

Why not 7 or 8? I mean, at least it's the latest. 8 is supposedly the
best documented one and supposedly earier to use (didn't try personally,
so I can't comment on it).

> Windows.NET (whistler) and that

I may be wrong, but isn't:
Whistler = Windows XP
Blackcomb = Windows.Net ?

--
- Robert J Ohannessian

"Microsoft code is probably O(n^20)" (My CS teacher)