Re: [AD] sound and more sound

Vincent Penquerc'h <vincent@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > I was wondering
> > > why does allegro uses unsigned data for 16 bit samples? the
> > "most standard"
> > > is signed for 16bit and unsigned for 8bit
> >
> > I guess for consistency.  As the manual says, "The sample data is
> > always in unsigned format".  It's too late to change now anyway.
>
> i was just thinking ... this can be detected at load time if we use
> wav or voc files (which allegro knows about), so the data could be
> converted by the loader routine, no ?

We *could* change the signed-ness, and change the loaders to reflect
that, but the problem is audiostreams, which people have to mangle
manually.  I personally would like to see the change, but I've only
got two libraries which use audiostreams to maintain.  People might
also mangle SAMPLE data as well.

--
tjaden@xxxxxxxxxx - http://www.psynet.net/tjaden/
Python hackers do it explicitly.