Re: [AD] todo/whishlist for 3.9.34

On Sun, 17 Dec 2000, Angelo Mottola wrote:
> here I post my personal vision of this list - feel free to add your own
> items!

- finish all examples to handle GFX_SAFE correctly. Two or three still
  need a little touch.

- fix strange fb_init bug when user request a non-existant resolution in
  his /etc/fb.modes file. Oh well, this doesn't seem to be so important,
  since it's pretty inexpensive to write a correct fb.modes file and quite
  rare to request exotic resolutions, but should be dealt with at least
  before 4.0. <smacks myself in the head>.

> In the future these things should also be considered:

I don't know if this should be done before 4.0 (if ever):

- Better documentation for the unicode routines: saying that ustrcpy,
  ustrcmp, etc, work like the libc routines isn't very beautiful, and
  doesn't allow me to press Ctrl+F1 in my editor and get a help on the
  function :) Therefore, documentation text for each function.

- Split unicode routines into a separate library. It would still be linked
  with Allegro, but the unicode routines could be linked separately from a
  user program.

- Better get_config_text support, with multiple fallback configuration
  files (you can have lot's of the under linux), which is not supported at
  the moment (IIRC two at most).

- Split setup in two: user program and configuration library. This would
  allow easier merge process of configuration program into real user
  programs, as well as modifying the interface and "look'n'feel". The lib
  should be written in such a way to support future additions without the
  need of rewritting the user setup ui.

- Play with switch_in/out X events, just for the sake of it :-)

- Write datafile color conversion support routines: updating demo to
  support truecolor depths wasn't that intuitive! A little set of
  functions allowing conversion of a whole datafile or just a range, along
  with specification of multiple palettes for color conversion. Such a
  function call after the load_datafile call would be really nice if it
  could handle most of the problems without worrying the user.

 Grzegorz Adam Hankiewicz   gradha@xxxxxxxxxx - http://gradha.infierno.org
 Other web pages:  http://glub.ehu.es/  -  http://welcome.to/gogosoftware/