Re: [AD] This time GFX_SAFE for real

At 00:32 05-12-00 +0100, you wrote:

>Here's a patch for the linux framebuffer. It's essentially the same thing
>I posted previously (but this should get applied ;). The differences are
>that it's a little bit cleaner, and I also patched exhello, grabber and
>the documentation to reflect the GFX_SAFE behaviour and show the purpose
>(it's really nice to get grabber and test work in 1024x768 without
>ordering it explicitly).

>If nobody argues against this change, I will continue to retouch Allegro's
>examples and programs using GFX_SAFE to work on any color depth, because
>most of them make the assumption that 8 bpp will be set.

I think making GFX_SAFE select 1024 x 768 is a bad idea.  The whole point
of GFX_SAFE is making allegro select safe (usually default) settings.  I
don't classify 1024 x 768 as either safe or default screen resolution.
Most operating systems don't default to 1024 x 768.  Some monitors or video
cards don't work properly at 1024 x 768, although they work properly at 640
x 480 or 800 x 600.  In addition, some video cards only handle 8 bpp (256
colors) at any resolution.  Other video cards can do no more than 8 bpp
when they are set to 1024 x 768.  Some graphics programs work fine on
computers which have a plugin video card, whereas the same progam doesn't
work on computers which have onboard integrated video (the video is on the
mother board).
The whole point of GFX_SAFE is to have a screen that is certain to be
usable on any display, monitor, video card, computer or operating system.
This could be used for error messages or configuration programs.  Just
because allegro can set the hardware mode doesn't mean that the user can
read it, or the monitor or other attached hardware can handle it.
In conclusion I think that GFX_SAFE should set minimal settings like 640 x
480 at 8bpp, if the program wants higher screen res or more colors it can
be setup later.

-
Regards,
       Mike

Sig:
Think like a man of action, act like a man of thought. -Henri Bergson