Re: [AD] New FONT structure - any objections?

Laurence Withers wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Would anybody object to having a new FONT structure, along the line of:

Well, I was trying to get something along those lines to have text
support in AllegroGL, but George said it would be better as an add-on to
AGL. In any case, if this change is accepted, you have my full support:
I'd then be able to write an add-on package to render text with OpenGL
easily, or (at best) have it included as a font driver in AGL.
Some data fields would have to be added though, but I'm sure we can
arrange something.
There might be some problems though in the way people load fonts.
Currently you must import a pcx to a datafile as a font, then DIRECTLY
use the structure in the program. So something like "FONT *myfont =
datafile[0].dat;" would need to be supported. Backwards compatibility
would be a mess as just about all Allegro programs using this method
would have to be changed.

Hope for the best :)

--

- Robert J Ohannessian