Re: [AD] New WIP

George Foot <gfoot@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> > http://www.inp.nsk.su/~bukinm/allegro/3933/release.txt
>
> Hmm, that's a lot to do. :)  Was there a problem with just
> running `cvs update' then `misc/zipup.sh', then
> `misc/mkunixdists.sh'?  That's how it's meant to work IIRC -- I
> did try to make these things avoid CVS files etc after making
> the CVS repository.

This will not work because some files which should go into library are
not in CVS (configure, makefile.dep, maybe some others).  Running
autoconf, then configure script and 'make depend' produce some files,
which should not be placed to library (config.cache, config.log), but
AFAIK, there is no way to clean these with Unix makefile, only
together with some files which should go to library.

I think we should put all files that should go into distribution, and
are not generated by zipup.sh or mkunixdists.sh into CVS, or add
another script that will generate these files.  I think we should do
both, so CVS will be usable out of the box, and we'll be able to
recreate all necessary files automatically.  Perhaps, we should
strip '#line [0-9]* "configure"' lines from configure script, then
any changes to its sources will not lead to massive diff in CVS.
Also, we should put dependencies for all files into makefile.dep (not
only for those that configure found as library sources).

I'm going to do all this sometime soon.  It should simplify process of
building correct library release.

--
Michael Bukin