Re: [AD] about allegro development

On Sun, Feb 27, 2000 at 11:24:10AM -0000, Isaac Cruz wrote:
> Is there currently someone working in a new WIP of Allegro? Shawn, Michael,
> George or someone else? I have some changes for the windowed driver, but it
> seems Shawn has disappeared.

The best thing you can do for now is probably to post the patch
to the conductors list as usual.  When Shawn gets back he'll
surely read the list and apply the patches, and if someone else
releases a WIP in the meantime they can also apply such patches.

On Sun, Feb 27, 2000 at 03:17:38PM +0100, Henrik Stokseth wrote:
> okay, shawn said he could delegate WIP work to one of three person while
> he was away: Foot, Bukin or Wang. shall we just do it easy and let Foot
> take over the work for a while, or? the work consists mostly of merging
> patches and converting some msvc inline asm to external GAS files. it
> would be nice to get it done. what do you think?

It's not a simple job.  The first stage is of course to apply
all the patches.  That's not so hard, and would only take a bit
of thought about each one.  The other part is creating the WIP
package, and that's more complicated because for reasons I don't
fully understand, it has to be done from Windows (something to
do with generating .def files for the DLL, and dependency
information for the various compilers).  I can't do that bit.

The best I could do would be to apply the patches, and make a
Unix distribution which would also work for people able to build
using MSVC (i.e. with the relevant djgpp tools installed, etc)
and probably also OK for djgpp itself -- I think the
dependencies can be generated from Unix.

It would probably be possible to send this to someone else, who
could do something about the DOS/Windows compilers, but then
that person might as well do the whole packaging themself.

Ultimately, it looks to me like Shawn's system is nice and
convenient, and easy for somebody else to do in his absence,
provided they have all the compilers.  Either I'm wrong, or
that's a major oversight.  If this is the case then it might be
worth revising the script to make it possible to run it
repeatedly, on different systems, to create all the information
properly.

On Thu, Mar 02, 2000 at 02:41:20PM +0100, Stepan Roh wrote:
> I have some patches and I'm doing some bug huntings, but it's not fun to
> send it because Shawn didn't reply the same day with "Thanks!", "Great!"
> or "Not useful." So I suggest to delegate WIP development to George Foot
> (and delegate it NOW). Shawn will release 4.0 later when he will have
> time. What do you think of it?

You can delegate all you like, but I don't have the resources to
build new WIPs, and in any case I can't make any promises on my
time until a week or two from now.  I've been ill for a few
weeks, and have a huge backlog of work to catch up on in the
next couple of weeks before the end of the term.

George

--
Random project update:
03/02/2000: Libnet 0.10.5 uploaded -- now also supports Mingw32 and MSVC