Re: [AD] Summary : DirectX Windowed Mode

----- Original Message -----
From: Isaac Cruz <ICRUZBAL@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <conductors@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, December 09, 1999 12:27 AM
Subject: RE: [AD] Summary : DirectX Windowed Mode

> Here's is the diff for the windowed mode. The patch is for the original
all3928,
> and it includes Keith's overlay patch.

Hm. Good cooperation.

> A brief description:
>
> - It creates a window of the size passed to set_gfx_mode (number of
driver:
> GFX_DIRECTX_WIN). It also creates an offscreen backbuffer (pointed by
screen),
> and creates a thread that blits the contents of the buffer to the window,
synced
> with the vertival refresh.

Doesn't it do a selective blit, based on which parts of the screen have
changed? I guess not. But indeed it seems more important to you to get the
code done yourself quickly instead of coming to an agreement with others
concerned.

> - The window can be moved or overlapped with other windows without losing
its
> content. You can also resize the window.

Do you support resizing the window also when stretched hw blitting isn't
supported? Not everybody has a TNT and dx software stretching is very slow.
Also, if I'd make a game I wouldn't want the user to skew the aspect ratio,
on purpose, or accidently.

> - Known bugs (will be fixed in few days :)
>    Palette mode (8 bit) don't show the correct colors.

Yes, 8 bit mode in a window is very nasty to get right. The first 10 & last
10 colors of the palette are locked as system colors. (You can get around
that in Win95/98, but not in NT I think). I have an idea about a solution
for that, but I don't feel much like putting energy in discussing solutions
anymore.

>    If you minimize the window and restore it, it won't work until you move
the
> window.
>    If you move the window outside the desktop on the left side or at top
> (difficult!), the DX Blt call fails and the window won't refresh.

Seems something's wrong with the clipper.

have fun,
Dominique