Re: [AD] Todo?

Vincent PENQUERC'H <vpenquerch@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>> Ok, what did I forget?
>
> Hmmmm ... New GUI framework, with mouse buttons distinction and widgets
> that do not take upon mouse when clicked?

That's been talked about in much depth, but although it is a good idea, I
don't think it counts as release-critical.

> And if someone has a bright idea on speeding up random access to
> datafiles, I would gladly hear it ;)

No bright ideas required: this has been listed in todo.txt for ages. You
just need to cache the object names and offsets on the first pass through a
file, so that subsequent accesses can go straight to any previously seen
objects without needing to touch the index. The tricky bit is implementing
this without breaking anything, for instance making it deal gracefully with
nested datafiles (remembering that the first pass might or might not have
looked inside the datafile, or might have only gone half of the way through
it and then stopped after finding the object it was looking for), and also
it must be careful not to apply the cache to the wrong file, if people start
writing out data or renaming things on disk (in some situations that might
be impossible to avoid, but it should at least try to detect things like
swapping a floppy disk for another one that contains a different datafile
with the same name as one previously encountered. Urgh :-)

--
Shawn Hargreaves - shawn@xxxxxxxxxx - http://www.talula.demon.co.uk/
"A binary is barely software: it's more like hardware on a floppy disk."