Re: [translations] snippets in LM

2011/6/26 Federico Bruni <fedelogy@xxxxxxxxx>:
> I've just translated the chapter "Templates" of Learning Manual
> (Francisco, I've looked at the commit dates: it can be cherry-picked to
> 2.14).

Is it now in 2.14? Contact Carl if not.

> It seems to me that most of the snippets included in templates.itely are
> located in Documentation/snippets and not in the new/ subdirectory.
> In CG I've read that in Documentation/snippets/new there are only those
> snippets which use new features (not supported by the stable version).
>
> So I wonder why (maybe) all of them have this warning:
>
> "%% DO NOT EDIT this file manually; it is automatically
> %% generated from LSR http://lsr.dsi.unimi.it
> %% Make any changes in LSR itself, or in Documentation/snippets/new/ ,
> %% and then run scripts/auxiliar/makelsr.py"

Because other than those in new/, you do not modify files in
snippets/.  They come from LSR and they are updated from there from
time to time.

> Only the files that are also in new/ subdirectory should have this
> warning.  Right?

Snippets in new/ do not have this warning.  They are not supported by LSR.

> If it's a problem of maintenance and updating, no problem.  I just want
> to be sure of what I'm supposed to do.

For any file in the snippets/ directory, do nothing.

> I would use this "rule": edit the file in Documentation/snippets unless
> there is the same file in Documentation/snippets/new.
> Please let me know if it's ok.

No. I assume you are talking about translating snippets.  For every
*.ly snippet you want to translate, create a texidocs/*.texidoc file
with the same name [except for the .ly part] or make a copy of it into
your texidocs/ directory and change its suffix from .ly to .texidoc .
Then strip it removing all the music and leave only a pair of
doctitleit=" ... " and texidocit=" ...  " strings (for Italian).
Remove everything else.  You can take a look at fr/de/es directories.

Then run makelsr.py, commit the result and write down the ID of this
commit. Then put this ID in your texidoc files, then commit these
changes.  Only then your translated snippets will dissapear from the
'make check-translation' output.

I wrote one or two phrases in the CG explaining this, but I can not
find them now.