Re: [tablatures] harmonics in tablature

Hi Patrick, hello all,

Patrick Schmidt schrieb:
Hi all,

I'm having difficulties to indicate in tablature where to place a finger to get harmonics other than the first harmonic (see Ex. 1). The first harmonic is normally produced in the 12th fret and sounds in the same octave as if the string were stopped in the 12th fret (one octave above open string). In the case of other harmonics the pitch or the octave of a fretted note isn't necessarily the same as the pitch of the resulting harmonic. Of course LilyPond calculates the fret number of a given pitch name so it's no surprise that in Ex. 2–4 the fret numbers in tablature differ from those indicated in the text markups. I would like to engrave the sounding pitch of a harmonic in standard notation and the place where to put one's fingers in tablature. Is there a way to adjust fret numbers in Ex. 2–4? Or is it possible in Ex. 5–6 to get rid off the note head for the stopped position in standard notation and typeset the fret number(s) in single angle brackets in tablature?

Thanks for any hint!
patrick
I don't have a hint, but generally, it would be a useful enhancement to have a better input
possibility for harmonics. I'd propose two functions, say

\harmonic-by-ratio <ratio> <note>
and
\harmonic-by-fret <fret> <note>

so, for example, you can code

\harmonic-by ratio 1/3 e,,4 and get the second harmonic (h,4) on the seventh fret: <7>,
whereas
\harmonic-by ratio 2/3 e,,4 would yield to the same harmonic note played on the 21th fret.

The same result would be available by saying
\harmonic-by fret 7 e,,4 or \harmonic-by-fret 21 e,,4

Harmonics over the fifth partial tone cannot be coded directly in lilypond, because
fret numbers like 2.6 or 2.1 are not supported yet.
I am not sure whether I can implement this, but I would give it a try.

What do you think?

Marc