Re: [tablatures] Power chords

On 9/12/10 2:21 PM, "Patrick Schmidt" <p.l.schmidt@xxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> here is a solution for typesetting power chords and their symbols.
> The solution is not new and I didn't invent it but including the
> little file makes life a tiny bit easier. Maybe these few lines of
> code could become part of the lilypond bundle thus making it
> unnecessary to have to include them in each and every file containing
> power chords??? Where would they have to go?

I think they could be added to ly/chord-modifiers-init.ly

> The following example shows that there are quite a few ways of coding
> power chords. Personally I like using for example c1:1.5 or c1:1.5.8
> for two- and three-voiced power chords as it's short and shows
> clearly which steps are in the chord.

I concur with the c:1.5 and c:1.5.8  I prefer these to c:5^3 and c:5^3.8

These should be added to Appendix A.2 Common chord modifiers.

> If no one objects I could offer
> to add a few lines of text to the manual concerning power chords??!!
> Is it worth adding this example to the snippet repository?

Since this uses \set, it belongs in the manual in the form of a snippet.
Write the documentation right into the texidoc for the snippet, and make
sure it gets added to the LSR with a docs tag and a fretted strings tag.

Then, we'll need to modify the Selected Snippets section of NR 2.4.2 to
include your snippet.

Also, I'd recommend that we consider adding the power chords to
ly/predefined-guitar-fretboards.ly.  Currently, the manual shows how they
could be added as alternate voicings of regular major chords.  But now that
you have specific chord modifier sequences for power chords, I think it
makes great sense to add them to the predefineds.  If we do that, then we
don't need to worry about adjusting minimumFret when transposing (and the
predefined fretboard will automatically be transferred to the tablature).

Thanks,

Carl