Re: [tablatures] transposing tablature

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Sat, 9 Jan 2010 22:27:06 -0700
> Von: Carl Sorensen <c_sorensen@xxxxxxx>
> An: "tablatures@xxxxxxxxxxx" <tablatures@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> Betreff: Re: [tablatures] transposing tablature

> On 1/9/10 12:17 PM, "Patrick Schmidt" <p.l.schmidt@xxxxxx> wrote:
>

> > -------- Original-Nachricht --------
> >> Datum: Fri, 8 Jan 2010 20:47:50 -0700
> >> Von: Carl Sorensen <c_sorensen@xxxxxxx>
> >> An: Carl Sorensen <c_sorensen@xxxxxxx>, Patrick Schmidt
> >> "tablatures@xxxxxxxxxxx" <tablatures@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> >> Betreff: Re: [tablatures] transposing tablature

> The
> >> root
> >> because the
> >> fifth
> >> four
> >> In my
> new
> >> chord

> >> default

> > No need to apologize, it was my fault.
> of
> > Thanks very much!
> >>
> >> Patrick,
> >>
> >> Can you add a FretBoards context and do some experimenting to see if
> the
> >> chords transpose properly in the FretBoards context?
> > Work in progress
> >>
> >> For the particular case you gave, the FretBoards function works
> properly.
> >>
> >> If the FretBoards function works properly to give the tablature you
> want,
> >> I'll adjust the tab-note-head engraver so it uses the same note-to-fret
> >> function that the FretBoards engraver uses.

Almost all chords I tested were transposed properly (see caged.ly). Two chord cannot be played after transposing it (<c e g c g'> and <g c e g c>).

Two minor observations:
1) some of the chord names aren't centered above the fretboard diagrams. (Maybe this is a known issue. I didn't look for a workaround)
2) In the appendix B.2 Common chord modifiers (Notation Reference) there is a wrong chord modifier (and a wrong chord) for the minor/major seventh chord. It says 'maj7.5-' but it should be 'maj7.3-'

> >> I think this is the proper thing to have happen, anyway.
> > Sounds good to me. By the way: Would you mind me adding (quite) a few
> fret
> > diagrams to predefined-fretboards.ly? If yes: is it possible to add
> several
> > diagrams of the same chord e.g. C major: A-shape (III. position),
> G-shape (V.
> > position), E-shape (VIII. position) and D-shape (X. position). I could
> also
> > add lots of inverted chords, eleventh, thirteenth and so on. Why are
> there two
> > separate fretboard files?
> >

> I would be fine to have you add diagrams to
> predefined-guitar-fretboards.ly.
>
> We have two separate guitar fretboard files because we want to show in the
> documentation that if a chord is not included in the predefined
> fretboards,
> a chord shape will be automatically calculated.
>
> It is possible to add several diagrams of the same chord by using
> different
> octaves.  However, the octaves should probably be two apart, e.g. c and
> c'',
> but not c'.  Because of this, I would recommend that we *not* have all of
> the possible shapes for each of the chords in the default file
> ly/predefined-guitar-fretboards.ly.  I think we'd fill up the "octave"
> name
> space.
>
> If you can think of a good classification scheme, perhaps we could put
> these
> chords into separate .ly files, and the user could then include them as
> desired.
How about this one (see chord-classification-toc.pdf)? All the parts would go in separate .ly files. The chords with the question mark could also go in a different category…