Subject: start [was: Re: Take 1]
------------------------

From: Marc Hohl <marc@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 2009/7/1
To: "Carl D. Sorensen" <c_sorensen@xxxxxxx>
Cc: David Stocker <dstocker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Grammostola Rosea
<rosea.grammostola@xxxxxxxxx>, Andrew Wilson <andrew@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
Viktor Mastoridis <viktor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "David B. Stocker
(dstocker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)" <dstocker@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Tony Willoughby
<tonyw@xxxxxxxxx>, Valentin Villenave <v.villenave@xxxxxxxxx>, Julian
Casadesus <julian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

[...]
> I agree that the syntax will eventually be important.  And if it's decided
> to do the engraver and create the new syntax, it'll need to be thought
> through carefully.
>
> But it's seldom the best way to get *started*.

Ok. As I use MusiXTeX for guitar music, I defined the pointed slurs and the
bend arrows by use of postscript, so I think the code could be reused here.

For the pointed slurs, I need the coordinates of the noteheads
(i.e. the height and the distance) to calculate the three points needed.
The only coordinates I can get so far are the x- and y-extensions of the
note heads themselves. This is important for placing the edges of the slurs
properly, but I have no idea how to get coordinates relative to each other.

This is what I got so far:

\version "2.13.1"

#(define (check grob)
 (let* ((stencil (ly:note-head::print grob))
        (x-ext (ly:stencil-extent stencil X))
        (y-ext (ly:stencil-extent stencil Y)))
  (display x-ext)(display y-ext)(newline)
  stencil))

example = \relative c {
 \clef "G_8"
 c4 d e f
}

\layout {
 \context {
 \Staff
 \override NoteHead #'stencil = #check
}}

\score { \example }

It shows the coordinates of the note heads on the display and draws
them as usual.

Any hints/help appreciated!

Marc