[frogs] Re: T1247 - Conditionally do (use-modules (ice-9 curried-definitions)) if running with Guile V2, (issue2219044)

On 2010/09/26 10:19:59, ianhulin44 wrote:
On 2010/09/26 00:00:27, Neil Puttock wrote:

> Why is that useful?  It's irrelevant for anybody using 1.8.

--verbose messages are used for development and maintenance purposes
as well as
for advanced user hacking.

Yes.

E.g. messages are output for each file loaded by lily,scm when it's
run up
during initialization.
Files loaded like this are dynamically byte-compiled by Guile V2.

Are they?  Last time I tested this, Guile only compiled modules loaded
via (use-modules ...).

I had to change `primitive-load' to `primitive-load-path' (in ly:load)
to enable automatic compilation.

Guile V2 also dynamically compiles any files accessed via
(use-modules(...))
both by lily.scm and any .scm files loaded by lily.scm: it's a PITA
keeping
track of all this.

Yes, but only while you debug this particular issue (see below)...

This patch adds a new module solely for use by Guile V2.0.  I have
work coming
up (T1249) which implies we will need to use modules under V1.8 which
will be
part of the Guile V2.0 base code, i.e. we will need to conditionally
load them
when running with Guile V1.8 and not V2 (e.g. (ice-9 syncase) so we
can fix a V2
compilation problem in ly-syntax-contructors.scm).
At the moment, I have a use for such messages while working on the
Guile
migration stuff.  If you feel they are a serious nuisance for users
running V1.8
and using --verbose by all means open an issue and I'll take them out
once all
the issues spawned by T1055 are fixed and LilyPond is running up
without
problems using both Guile V1.8 and V2.

Okay, I agree that things are getting complicated quite fast...

But will there really be a use for this ly:message call *after* your
patch is committed to git?

-Patrick

http://codereview.appspot.com/2219044/