Re: [frogs] Re: Lilypond's internal pitch representation and microtonal notation

On 9/20/10 5:27 PM, "Wols Lists" <antlists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>  On 20/09/10 19:57, Carl Sorensen wrote:
>>
>> HTH,
>>

> It does indeed!
>
> I'll probably try and put that in the capo-indicator engraver, but I'm
> still trying to get my head around scheme and scheme engravers.

I think you can get the output you want without an engraver (I know, we've
had this conversation before).  I'd recommend that you update your
modifications to the chord_name_engraver to be based on either two pitches
or a transposition pitch and get all of that working properly.

You can then write a markup that will engrave the capo-indicator, without
having an engraver.  I realize this is not the end goal, but it may be a
useful intermediate point.

> I've
> grabbed all the examples I can find of scheme engravers but I'm having
> difficulty getting to grips with them and they're not much help (they
> all seem so inconsistent).

You will provide a lot of help to present and future frogs if you can write
down your questions as you study engravers, no matter how simple the
questions may be.  Send them to the list for answers, and we will then be
able to add that information to the Contributors' Guide.

> When I get some time to sit down I'll have to send some emails to list
> getting you and others to help me learn scheme properly ...

Learning Scheme can be a challenge by itself.  It's probably best to
separate the "learning Scheme" part from the "learning engravers" part.

As far as learning Scheme, may I recommend the online book Structure and
Interpretation of Computer Programs?  It's the book I learned Scheme from.
Lots of examples and interesting exercises.  You can skip the parts you
don't need.  Perhaps most important, IMO, it includes philosophy as well as
techniques.  And sometimes you really need the philosophy in order to
understand what's going on.

You can find it at

<mitpress.mit.edu/sicp/full-text/book/book.html>

Thanks,

Carl