Re: [frogs] chord-name-engraver plus capo - schemeing away ...

 On 30/08/10 02:17, Carl Sorensen wrote:

> On 8/29/10 1:43 PM, "Wols Lists" <antlists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>>  On 28/08/10 19:17, Neil Puttock wrote:
>>>
>> I'm quite happy to do it Scheme, and thanks for all the stuff you've
>> sent/pointed me at to look at. Only thing is, at the moment it's as
>> clear to me as double-italian (As a german-speaker (my second language),
>> double-dutch isn't too bad ... :-)
>>
>> All being well, I'll start on the capo-indicating-engraver in Scheme
>> tomorrow, so expect a flurry of "how on earth do I do this!" emails :-)
> Why do you want to do this as a scheme engraver?  It seems to sit very
> nicely as part of the ChordName engraver, which is already written.  Note
> that Neil's comment above indicates that he doesn't mean *as a scheme
> engraver*.
Ummm. How do I do that then? I agree it makes a lot of sense, but this
is the bit that returns "Capo 3 (A)", so I can't do it in process_music,
because it's not processing music, afaict.

And it needs a valid key signature, so I'll need to test that, etc etc.
This is where I really need a bit of guidance and hand-holding because
I'm now in the position of "I know what I want to do, but I don't know
where to start, and I don't know what to look at".

(That said, it's just struck me that maybe the key signature engraver
would be a good place to look! I'll look there, but any guidance would
be appreciated.)
> Other than as an academic exercise to write an engraver in Scheme, this
> doesn't seem to me to be the best way to get the functionality you want.

I got that Neil wasn't saying "do it in Scheme", but as I thought I
needed a new engraver, I thought Scheme was the best language to do it in.

Cheers,
Wol