[frogs] CG Feedback

Hi list.

I thought I'd post a quick note of the issues I faced downloading and
building LilyPond. On the whole the experience was far less painful
that I thought it would be but I hope the following may be of use. I
would have posted this earlier, but I made the mistake of doing a 'make
check' and I've only just got my PC back again :)

My main misunderstanding was to do with 'git add' and 'git commit' as
I had the impression that git commit only commits modifications and not
additions. The new section 2 of the CG is much clearer on this than
before, but I think the line in 2.3.4:

"The -a is short for --all which includes modified and deleted files,
but not newly created files."

would be better as:

"The -a is short for --all which includes modified and deleted files,
but only newly created files which have been added with git add."

or something to that effect.

My next problem was not being sure how to look at the changes but this
has been addressed (git diff HEAD.)

When building LilyPond I was confused that the general build
instructions (3.1.3) were different from the instructions for building
on a Virtual Machine (3.3),  in particular that there is no ./configure
after the ./autogen.sh - in the end I assumed that it should have been
there and ran the configure script anyway. Something went wrong with my
build as, although LilyPond and the docs all seemed fine, convert-ly
couldn't find a library. Unfortunately I have no idea what I did wrong
to cause this. Rebuilding from scratch fixed it.

Everything else was quite pain free. I deliberately chose a more
difficult route to contributing a snippet than necessary but the
learning trip was useful to me and I hope the feedback can be of use to
someone else.

Regards,

David.

2009: A year in review - http://www.tiscali.co.uk/2009