[frogs] Re: Add option to indicate frets by letters in tablature(issue164063)

Carl Sorensen wrote Monday, December 07, 2009 2:18 PM

I don't think there's anything special to do in terms of mixing strings or
markups in a property.  The property is just a list.

When it's time to display, you can use the string? and markup? predicates to decide whether a given fretLabel is a string or a markup, if you need to.

Actually, as I read the code, you don't need to do anything, because make-vcenter-markup just does interpret-markup on its argument (see scm/define-markup-commands.scm and search for vcenter to see how this works). So interpret-markup will operate on the argument (either a string
or a markup) and create a stencil.

The thing that bugging me is how do I code the fretLabels property?
I've tried every way I can think of to enter markup so make-vcenter-markup
is happy to receive it, but they all fail in one way or another.

I think I must be missing something obvious.  As examples,

fretLabels = ("a" "b" "c") works fine, of course.

fretLabels = ("a" "b" "\markup { \italic c } ") fails with
 syntax error, unexpected ( (after the =)

fretLabels = ("a" "b" \markup { \italic c } ) fails with
 invalid markup in position 1. expect markup found \markup

etc, I've tried several other variants.

Trevor