Removing trailing whitespace [was Re: [frogs] Patch for Issue #830]

Carl Sorensen wrote Monday, December 21, 2009 4:41 PM

On 12/21/09 9:11 AM, "Trevor Daniels" <t.daniels@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Carl Sorensen wrote" <c_sorensen@xxxxxxx>

so you can do

git rebase --whitespace=fix HEAD^

Hhm.  I don't think this works.

The whitespace option is simply passed to apply
for actioning, but in this case apply is never
invoked as HEAD is already up to date.  But
please correct me if you find it does work, as
this would certainly be an easier option.

On my system it works:
[snip]
Have I missed something?

No; it was I that missed something - as Reinhold
pointed out I missed the ^.  Sorry.

I also learned something.  Using --whitespace=warn
does nothing, because apply is not invoked, but
--whitespace=fix forces a rebase, and hence apply
is invoked.  So how does this sound:

To remove trailing whitespace during git am use

git am --whitespace=fix ...

To remove trailing whitespace from the last
commit in master use

git rebase --whitespace=fix HEAD^

To remove training whitespace from all divergent
commits in branch <branch> during a branch
rebase use

git rebase --whitespace=fix master <branch>

(The latter is already in CG in git as of this morning)

Trevor