[frogs] Re: Why are book blocks objects but not contexts in Lilypond?

On Sun, Sep 27, 2009 at 6:16 PM, Ian Hulin <ian@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I'm looking at this in terms of design inconsistencies rather than
> documentation issues.
>
> I've been looking around at the code and documentation regarding contexts
> and noted these statements:
>
> LM 3.3.2 says
>
> "Note that there is no \new Score command;
> the single top-level Score context is introduced
> with \score."

This is not correct, technically.  The \score construct groups a music
expression together with an output def (either \midi or \layout).

Score contexts are created implicitly when the interpretation of that
music expression starts.

> So, is the top-level block in a lilypond input file implicitly a book or a
> score?
> Which is right, and do all places in the code make the correct assumption
> consistently?

The behavior of this is softcoded in the function
default-toplevel-score-handler.
I think the default is to collect all scores together and join them in a \book.

--
Han-Wen Nienhuys - hanwen@xxxxxxxxx - http://www.xs4all.nl/~hanwen