Re: [frogs] New Frog task

Carl D. Sorensen wrote:
Dear Frogs,

As you can see from the email below, oldaddlyrics should be removed from
lilypond.

This will require the following:

1.  Remove the definition from ly/music-fuctions-init.ly
2.  Add a rule to convertrules.py (you can find out where it's located by
yourself; it's good training), if it's not there already.
3.  In order to be sure you add the rule to convertrules.py for the right
version, you should probably search the git history to find out when it was
removed (or replaced).

Anybody want to take on this task?

Thanks,

Carl

OK, Since I was the one who brought up \oldaddlyrics in the first place.

Cheers,

Ian
Hi Carl,
\oladdlyrics is on my to-do list of undocumented functions.
\oldaddlyrics is the deprecated version of \addlyrics.
Should I remove the oldaddlyrics entry and add in one for \addlyrics so
this one is included in the docs, or just put a note that oldaddlyrics
is retained only in order to retain backwards compatibility?

I'd recommend that you keep the oldaddlyrics entry, and make sure it
mentions that it is deprecated.

I hope you have realized that \oldaddlyrics is not only deprecated
but actually doesn't work at all! There' no need to keep it, but we
should preferably introduce a convert-ly rule that prints out a warning
to the user that he manually has to replace \oldaddlyrics
with \lyricsto or the new \addlyrics (which has another syntax).
This was discussed on the mailing list some time ago.

I realize that this breaks Graham's rule that we shouldn't add any
convert-ly rules in 2.12, but the rule should actually be specified
for some old LilyPond version (probably 2.8.x or 2.10.x) where
\oldaddlyrics actually stopped working. Perhaps this has already been
done.

   /Mats

------ End of Forwarded Message