Re: [chrony-users] Understand why system clock is bad even though chrony offsets look fine

On Mon, 20 May 2024, Miroslav Lichvar wrote:

[CAUTION: Non-UBC Email]

On Thu, May 16, 2024 at 06:01:10PM +0530, Abhijith Sethuraj wrote:
> Is this server synchronized to the same NTP server as the computer
running the client application? What root distance does it report?
The server is synchronized to another NTP server that we don't have control over. So, I don't think it's possible for me to give you the root distance.
It's safe to assume that the server's time is good, as they have a lot of
other clients apart from us and no one else reported any issues.

Actually that is usually a lie. It is used by companies to get rid of
complaints without doing anything. "No one else complains". It is also true
that if someone does complain it usually represents a huge number of others
who have problems and who do not complain, either because they do not notice
the problems, or do not complain because it is too much trouble.