[chrony-users] Rising/falling edge detection

I moved my chrony setup over to a PC with an i210 and an external u-blox GPS. The default pulse width with u-blox GPS modules is 0.1s, and I haven't changed that, so in the PHC refclock I'm specifying width 0.1. The documentation for the width refclock option says:

Note that it reduces the maximum allowed error of the time source which completes the PPS
samples. If the duty cycle is configurable, 50% should be preferred in order to maximise the allowed error.

I don't understand this. I would have thought 50% was the worst possible configuration because it prevents the use of the time between pulses being used to identify which is the rising edge.
But the behaviour of chrony is consistent with the documentation, and it's picky about the offset on the SOCK refclock to which the PHC refclock is locked.  On my system the delay of the SOCK refclock is about 0.2s, but if I specify an offset 0.3 rather than 0.2, I don't get any PPS samples at all.

My expectation would be that if you have a width of 0.1, then you can reliably use the interval between pulses to determine which is rising and which is falling, and so the use of width shouldn't reduce the maximum error of the time source at all. If I specify a delay of 0.5, isn't it reasonable to allow anything from, say, 0.1 to 0.9 as being the completing sample?

My config is:

refclock PHC /dev/ptp0:extpps:pin=0 width 0.1 poll 0 precision 1e-7 refid PPS lock UART
refclock SOCK /run/chrony.clk.ttyUSB0.sock poll 0 offset 0.2 noselect refid UART

James