Re: [chrony-users] Chrony on CM4

On Mon, Sep 04, 2023 at 06:30:06PM +0700, James Clark wrote:
> "chronyc serverstats" looks good: I'm seeing  increasing "NTP hardware RX
> timestamps" and
> "NTP hardware TX timestamps".

Is the server running on CM4?

> I'm now trying two clients, and I see different results with chronyc
> ntpdata:
>
> - another CM4: here I see RX timestamping : Hardware but TX timestamping :
> Kernel

Can you please enable the measurements log and see if all TX
timestamps are kernel or there is a mix of kernel and hardware? The HW
timestamping might be unreliable. You could try increasing hwtstimeout
to 1 to wait even longer for the TX timestamp.

You could also try adding "minpoll 2" to the hwtimestamp directive to
read the clock less frequently to avoid some collisions with the
timestamping access. IIRC the HW or driver might have an issue with
that.

> - an x86 box with the AQC107: here I see TX timestamping : Hardware and RX
> timestamping : Hardware
> but on the client "chronyc ntpdata" shows Kernel for TX timestamping and RX
> timestamping.

I have no experience with this NIC. What does ethtool -T show?