Re: [chrony-users] chronyd failing on bootstrap of CIS-hardened AMI, Elastic Beanstalk

On Tue, Oct 18, 2022 at 11:23:26AM -0700, Tom Holub wrote:
> Obviously, this isn't chrony's fault, but I'm looking for advice on how to
> troubleshoot or work around the situation. If I put a User Data directive
> to run chronyd on instance boot, it creates chronyd.pid and chronyd.sock in
> /run/chrony, and the daemon seems to be syncing time, but all of the
> command line commands (like "chronyc sources") return nothing.

Try running "netstate -aenp | grep chronyd" or "ss -anp | grep
chronyd" to see which sockets the process has open. If it's missing a
UDP or Unix domain socket, there should be an error message in the
log. If no socket is missing, it might be a permission problem on the
directory or socket. It could be also be a SELinux/AppArmor issue if
it's enabled on the system. Check /var/log/audit/audit.log if present.