Re: [chrony-users] Server failover

On Thu, Aug 18, 2022 at 12:19:02PM -0400, Aaron Ball wrote:
> I did some experimenting and read the code a bit. What I seem to be seeing
> is, after "chronyc offline somehost", if that host had the shortest
> distance (which it generally will if it was selected), it will continue to
> have the shortest distance most of the time indefinitely, which means the
> scores in selectdata stay near 1.0. They rarely reached the 10.0 threshold
> after offlining the selected host, and the host stayed selected until it
> went SRC_STALE after around 15 minutes.

What is the polling interval and how long was the span reported by
"chronyc sourcestats"?

There is extra dispersion accumulating when the source doesn't have
any updates for the length of its span.

> 1. I would have figured that offlining a host should cause us to deselect
> it immediately and not treat it as a candidate, at least if there are other
> hosts we could use.

It depends on how much it was better than the next best source. If it
appeared more accurate, switching immediately to something worse would
cause an unnecessary degradation of accuracy.