Re: [chrony-users] Question about chrony use in a system without RTC battery

On Wed, Mar 09, 2022 at 03:36:34PM +0100, Kris van Rens wrote:
> My observation with power loss simulations is that the system keeps on
> jumping back in time (~a week). What I do is I break the internet
> connection such that the NTP synchronization is lost, then pull the
> power plug, re-insert the power plug (but leave the internet
> connection broken).

chronyd updates the driftfile only when it is stopped and when the
clock is updated from NTP, refclock, or manual input (at most once per
hour).

If there is no connection to the NTP server and the system is not
powered off cleanly, the driftfile will not be updated at all.

You can run "touch /var/lib/chrony/drift" from a cron job to limit the
backward step, but there will always be some if the machine does not
shutdown properly.