Re: [chrony-users] Configuration examples and accuracy

On Tue, Jan 25, 2022 at 11:29:04AM -0500, Charlie Laub wrote:
> Hello Miroslav,
>
> Thank you for creating and publishing this new page. The info is very
> helpful and demonstrates the level of accuracy that can be achieved under a
> variety of configurations. I have a local GPS PPS based (via NTP running on
> an R-Pi) Stratum 1 server. The other machines on my network all run chrony
> and reach tens of microseconds error, which is OK but could be better. I
> need to synchronize them in order to coordinate distributed audio playback,
> for which 1msec is too much error between machines. But synchronicity better
> than 100 usec works OK, with 10 usec being the ultimate goal. I will look at
> your examples to see how I can improve the client performance, however, most
> machines (not the stratum 1 server) are WiFi based so I doubt I can improve
> them much more. My clients use a poll interval of 4 or 5 for the GPS based
> local timeserver. No PTP or hardware timestamping is used.

Getting wireless clients within 10 microseconds is going to be very
difficult. The drivers don't even provide a software TX timestamp.

You could try a shorter polling interval combined with the maxdelay and
burst options. You would need to find the minimum peer delay for each
device at which it can get a good measurement frequently enough to
keep the clock in sync. This assumes the network is not loaded for
longer periods of time.

For example:
server ntp.local minpoll 0 maxpoll 2 burst maxdelay 0.0012 xleave

How do you verify that the clients are in sync? I assume they work as
speakers. Is there a tool which can analyse recorded audio of multiple
speakers and tell you how well they agree with one another?