Re: [chrony-users] drift file issue, possible chronyd bug?

On Wed, Dec 15, 2021 at 01:03:04PM +0100, Tor Rune Skoglund wrote:
> The system is using this drift file: /var/lib/chrony/drift . On this
> particular system, the drift file had had its permissions and type changed
> to this:
>
> #ls -l /var/lib/chrony/drift
> prwx------ 1 root root 0 Nov 28 16:54 /var/lib/chrony/drift
>
> We do not know the reason for this change. The system is not something
> someone can log into, so one theory is a file system error, another is some
> kind of bug in chronyd.

chronyd doesn't create named pipes. Grepping the source code for
mkfifo shows zero instances.

> However, due to the file type and permissions change, on the next reboot,
> the openrc init.d script fails to start chronyd and just hangs forever,
> blocking the boot process from proceeding. The core problem here is of
> course the file change, but we think that chronyd still should not block
> forever due to this, but rather report an error.

chronyd opens files with open(). If it's a named pipe, that will block
until something is written to the pipe as expected. I don't remember
seeing a program that would refuse to open a pipe.

If the system is prone to filesystem corruption, I think it would be
better to simply not use the drift file, or put it on tmpfs.