[chrony-users] xleave and HW timestamping

Hello list,

I have chrony working great using interleaved mode between two machines that have both RX and TX hardware timestamping. It's far more common for NICs to support TX timestamps in HW rather than both TX and RX. It seems like in that case the RX timestamps would fall back to happening in the kernel, while TX would stay in hardware. The xleave docs only mention TX timestamps, while the RFC draft mentions both RX and TX. So it's not totally clear to me how much HW RX timestamps matter to interleaved mode.

For clients or servers that don't support HW RX timestamping (only TX) how much precision would I be giving up?

Thanks!
-Joe