Re: [chrony-users] NTS: Limiting

Am 19.01.21 um 19:02 schrieb Kurt Roeckx:
> In your config file
> you need to say something like "server ntp.example.org nts". This
> means you will only accept certificates that have ntp.example.org
> in the certificate. If you only trust Let's encrypt, you will only
> trust certificates issued by Let's encrypt for ntp.example.org.

Yes, that is correct when you specify servers explicitly.

> I have no idea what kind of attack surface you have in mind.
I'm wondering how this behaves in case of pools, i.e. when I run a
private pool of NTP servers, i.e. "pool.example.com".

When I have something like this in my chrony.conf:

> pool pool.example.com iburst maxsources 3

Is NTS even possible in such a context? AFAIK only A records with IP
addresses are resolved, so I'm not sure if and how certificates can be
validated.

Does anyone know?

Best regards,
Karol Babioch