Re: [chrony-users] Integrating chrony with gpsd

Ah OK - thanks, that was my suspicion.
I have compromised by using some python to query gpsd at boot to get the time from the RTC, then relying on NTP once a fix is obtained - which hopefully will be soon afterwards

Cheers

Ben

On Mon, Dec 14, 2020 at 10:12 AM Miroslav Lichvar <mlichvar@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sat, Dec 12, 2020 at 11:25:12AM +0000, Ben Barker wrote:
> MS Name/IP address         Stratum Poll Reach LastRx Last sample
> #? NMEA                          0   4     0     -     +0ns[   +0ns] +/-    0ns
>

> If I am correct, then the "?" means chronyd can not connect to gpsd...?

It means it is not getting any samples from gpsd in the SHM segment.

> This test was carried out when the GPS had no fix - should I expect chronyd
> to get time successfully in the absence of a GPS fix in this scenario
> (since the NMEA strings do still contain time thanks to the RTC)....or is
> there some other issue I am missing?

gpsd should not send any samples to SHM if the GPS has no fix. You can
use the ntpshmmon utility from gpsd to confirm that.