Re: [chrony-users] ntpdata as normal user

I currently need to change the permission of both /run/chrony and
/run/chrony/chronyd.sock to be able to access it from a non-root,
non-_chrony user.

Would it work if /var/run/chrony had permissions 0775 and the user was
in the chrony group?

Maybe chronyc could have an option to specify the location of its
socket and let the user put it in a hidden directory where chronyd is
allowed to write? Too risky?

That does sound too risky to me. This is security through obscurity, and
rarely lasts past its first test by some hacker.