Re: [chrony-users] Disabling peers+dmpeers+monlist

chrony has a peer directive but it needs to explicitly turned on. Read man chrony.conf
So look in chrony.conf.

Do those "security manuals" explain what the problem is that they are trying
to solve by these disablings?

I suspect even in ntpd what they mean is that these commands should not be
turned on, rather than exlicitly disabled. Ie, the sysadmin must explicitly
enable them rather than explicitly disable them. monlist seems to report all of the past connection sources, which means that a
request from such a server can return far more data than was in the request.
This opens a denial of service attack possiblity. (You send a short packet,
they send a whole gob of material tying up the network.)

I suspect both others are similar. So this has to do with the remote query
abilities of ntpd.