[chrony-users] chronyd broken on macOS Big Sur

In testing macOS Big Sur, I am finding that chronyd has been broken by Apples aggressive use of their (undocumented) timed daemon.

Even when automatic updating is disabled in the Date&Time control panel, timed will still make adjustments to the system clock, adding spurious offsets of up to 0.5 secs. It appears to be doing based on some internal idea of the current time - it is not sending any packets to port 123

I have been unable to find a way of preventing timed from launching as it is under the control of System Integrity Protection (SIP). Disabling SIP is NOT an option.

I have submitted a 'Feedback' report to Apple about this, but they are notoriously unresponsive. If anyone on the list is able to suggest a workaround I'd be most grateful.

Bryan Christianson
bryan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx