Re: [chrony-users] Getting time synchronization offset from chronyd

g.morand@xxxxxxxx said:
> I only need to know that the system is not too much away from the actual time
> (<= 1 second). I use *iburst* so that it gets quickly synchronized at
> startup. I don't need much precision, that is why I use big sync intervals.
> We are using the GSM network, where every MB costs, I know NTP is not much
> but there is no small economy.

If network traffic is important, have you considered dropping chrony and
piggypacking whatever you need for time on other traffic?

The downside is that you have to become a time/NTP expert.  You are half way
there already.

Do you actually need time on the IoT device?  Can you use the time on the
server?  That is, rather than sending a message that says "X happened at T0",
send a message that says "X just happened" and let the server fill in the
time.  Or "X happened Y seconds ago" if you want to batch several events.

Are you using UDP?  TCP?  TLS?  ...

TLS needs sane time for certificate checking.

With UDP, you have to do your own retransmissions.  If timing is important,
you need to include some sort of ID in each packet so you can tell an expected
response from a long delayed response to a previous request.

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.