Re: [chrony-users] Using Chrony with a DS3231 RTC without RTC_UIE_ON

Thanks for the reply.

> I don't think that would be acceptable for chronyd to consume 100% of a CPU core just to track an RTC.

Yeah, constant tracking seems infeasible. Though, I do think it would be fine if done once in a month or something. Now to think of it, I'd be fine if it's not tracked at all, just that it's kept up-to-date and Chrony is able to restore time on boot. Is there a way to at least have that?

Avamander

On Mon, Jun 15, 2020 at 9:57 AM Miroslav Lichvar <mlichvar@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thu, Jun 11, 2020 at 07:57:15PM +0300, Avamander wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm using chrony version 3.5 (latest available) on Ubuntu 20.04 on my RPi4
> and Chrony refuses to use my DS3231 RTC, but hwclock on the other hand
> can use it just fine, maybe someone here has any ideas how to get it
> working?

It seems hwclock has a fallback to handle RTCs without interrupts by
reading the RTC time in a busy loop. I don't think that would be