Re: [chrony-users] measuring accuracy of time synchronization among group of servers

On Wed, Jun 03, 2020 at 08:42:39PM +0200, Simon Kepp wrote:
> I have a cluster of servers KLCEPH01-05 in a lab, that I must maintain
> synchronized clocks on to maintain cluster consistency.clock being
> accurately synced to real time is always a plus, but not a strict
> requirement in this case.
> I've set up Chrony on the servers, and configured all servers with the same
> external upstream source, (currently dk.pool.ntp org, but experimenting to
> find the best source). Furthermore, I've set up all clustermembers to use
> each others as peers. My challenge now is to determine the accuracy to
> which these servers are synchronized relative to each other.

One way to do that would be to enable the measurements log and
compare their peer offset +/- peer distance (peer delay / 2 + peer
dispersion).

If you use a public pool, it's possible that different clients will
use different servers, which can cause the clients to have a
significant offset between them.

A better approach might to be to have a dedicated server in the local
network, to which would be synchronized all local clients. With the
smoothtime directive the server could be only loosely synchronized to
an external server and be more stable for the local clients to stay
close to one another.